New Classes at the Fiber Arts Center!
The Fiber Arts Center of the Eastern Shore (FACES), located at 7 N. Fourth Street, Denton, is pleased to announce the following classes:
- Learn to Sew Basics; 9am-12pm; Saturdays Jan 11, Jan 25, & Feb 8; Instructor – Donna Hayes; $30; for adults. Students with a basic knowledge of using a sewing machine will be able to increase their knowledge. Topics to be explored will include how to identify and understand fabric, how to use paper patterns, and how to use your sewing machine to make basic items. Other topics covered will include hems, buttons, repairs, and minor alterations. Students will have a completed item such as an apron at the end of the course.
- Beginning Basket Weaving; 12-4pm; Sunday Jan 12; Instructor – Heidi Wetzel; $15; for ages 8 and up. Attendees will complete a pencil holder from the materials and tools supplied. This class is ideal for beginners, children (8 yrs. and up), and is a wonderful parent-child activity.
- Intro to Quilting; 9am-12pm; Saturdays Jan 18, Feb 1, & Feb 18; Instructor – Donna Hayes; $30; for adults. Gain a basic understanding of how to make quilts on the sewing machine. Techniques will include beginning level piecing, quilting, and finishing. It is recommended that you bring your own sewing machine but other basic tools and pattern will be on hand for student to test run. Students will have a completed lap quilt square at the end of the course.
- Painting With Thread; 12-6pm; Sunday Jan. 26, Instructor – Sylvia Snyder; $45; for adults.
Improve your free-motion machine quilting while learning thread painting and tips on how to create beautiful pieces of fabric. You will gain better control of your stitches while your quilting gets smoother. This class will teach you different thread painting techniques, such as three dimensional free-standing leaves, dimensional flowers, and a flat vase painted with two different threads through the eye of the needle. In addition, you will learn how to blend colors and balance your small project. The finished project will measure approximately 12” x 17”. A separate kit fee, made payable to Sylvia, will be required on the day of the class.
- Drop Spinning 101; 12-4pm; Saturday Feb. 8 or Mar. 8, Instructor – Drew Bogda; $20 plus kit fee; for ages 8 and up. In just a few hours, you can learn to make your own yarn on a drop spindle. Students will first make a “homemade” spindle then get started on learning the basics of understanding fiber. Then learn the basics of spinning without investing in a spinning wheel (yet!). Once you’re ready for a wheel, all of the skills you learn on the drop spindle will make you more successful. Supplies available for use during class include practice roving but students will have a working drop spindle to take home.
- Traditional Rug Hooking; 9am-12pm; Saturdays Feb 22, Mar 1, Mar 8, Mar 15, Mar 22, & Mar 29; Instructor – Elissa Crouch; $100; for adults. Beginners will learn basic traditional rug hooking techniques and tips while making a “mug” rug. Students will choose their own colors and work at their own pace to complete up to four 4in. x 4in. rugs. More experienced rug hookers are welcome to join the class and bring their own designs or commercial patterns to work on while having the opportunity to ask questions and perfect their techniques.
- Creative Sewing; 12-6pm; Sunday Feb. 23, Instructor – Sylvia Snyder; $45; for adults. Create wonderful fiber art pieces using decorative stitches and embellishments. In this 6 hours class we will start with solid color fabric that will be painted and changed more with every decorative machine-stitch and couching yarn stitch. We will finish with quilting, beading, and hand embroidery stitches. A separate kit fee, made payable to Sylvia, will be required on the day of the class.
- Youth Sewing Basics; 9am-12pm; Saturdays Apr 5, Apr 12, Apr 26, & May 3; Instructor – Donna Hayes; $40; for ages 7 and up. Children and adults are welcome to join in to learn basics of sewing. Learn to use the sewing machine for basic projects. Students are encouraged to bring their own machine. However, a limited few are available for class, please arrange sewing machine rental in advance. Students will be able to take their knowledge into the follow up classes on either sewing 101 or quilting.
Visit www.fiberartscenter.com to register and for more information. The Fiber Arts Center of the Eastern Shore (FACES) is a program of the Caroline County Council of Arts and is open Thursday to Saturday from 12-4pm. Visit the Quilts of the Eastern Shore exhibit which is on display January 9th through March 22nd. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410.479.0009 for more information.